• RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

JLBN

Free Guides, Themes, Photo, Games, Movies

JLBN – Setup CGI Perl on WAMP

Posted by BN October - 30 - 2008 37 Comments

Perl is a dynamic programming language created by Larry Wall and first released in 1987. Perl borrows features from a variety of other languages including C, shell scripting (sh), AWK, sed and Lisp. Perl was widely adopted because it provides powerful text processing facilities without arbitrary data length limits, as were present in many Unix tools at the time

In this instruction guide for WAMP, we will show you how to install and setup Perl for WAMPSERVER in Windows Server 2008. Fortunately, the procedure to install Perl is about the same in Windows Vista and XP, so you can use this guide to setup Perl in either Operating System.

Note: Even this guide is used for Wampserver, you can apply this method on other wamp package such as Xampp, EasyPHP, so on. Just make sure to select correct file(s) in proper location(s) ;)

[Read more...]

37 Responses so far.

1. ktosik says:

Change font color tutorial : Perl CGI on Wamp. Now its unreadable.

2. ktosik says:

You have made big mistake here: http://guides.jlbn.net/setcgi/setcgi9.html
    Step5 :
    Option Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes +ExecCGI
    Should be:
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes +ExecCGI

3. DjAligator says:

It dosen’t work perl i make all like in tutorial now it give this error
    Internal Server Error

Please contact the server administrator, admin@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

4. DjAligator says:

now it gives me
    Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /upo/cgi-bin/install.cgi on this server.

5. BN says:

@ DjAligator
    First, after install Perl, did you try to run the example Perl file to make sure it works?
    Second, did you follow the second Perl guide to setup Perl for folder “upo”?
    Third, did you include your shebang line on very top of all Perl files?

6. dc says:

thanx.. i found this sites where i begin to convused about running .cgi script from wamp. :)

7. Paul says:

Added perl\cgi to WAMP without a problem, thanks to your guide.
    An excellent and clear indtuction BN.
    And Thank you (and Andreas) for the templates too.

8. http://guides.jlbn.net/setcgi/setcgi1.html

What this page saying, cannot read it because of Black Background, please change it to white.. Good Guides very, very heplful. So good I link to you (chick on Name above to view)

9. Srinivas Nooly says:

Hey,

Thanks a lot, trying to install perl and wamp, this site should help, will come back if it does, anyways thanks a lot!!!!!

10. MorAdsPlz says:

11. “Don’t be fooled, this is really a tutorial on how to pack as many ads into a tutorial as possible.”

:) This site is laughable. It is almost impossible to read and distinguish an ad from actual text. Not to be mean, but seriously, less ads and better content will get you more money that so many ads that people leave from frustration. Bye bye, I will probably avoid all links back to jlbn.net, as they only lead to frustration.

• JL says:

@ MorAdsPlz + Jimmy Bockles
      Thank you for your comments, even they’re negative, and since they’re negative, we guess you guys only look ONE aspect when posting while our sites serve TWO purposes: tutorial guides for wamp users and implementing ads for template users, so wamp users just simply follow the guides and ignore the ads if not interested; on the other hand, our sites are good examples for template users when they wonder where possible to put the ads, Google search or Paypal, if they want to, on a particular template they just downloaded from our sites, so they just pick a spot or two for ad implementing that meet their desire needs ;-)

Nevertheless, even we’ve already tested on various monitor/LCD, due to some negative comments on this particular template, we will make a change soon ;-)

12. Jing says:

I follow your Perl CGI setup instructions. But it doesn’t work.

When I typed http://localhost/cgi-bin/printenv.pl, the “file download” windows jump out, which means it doesn’t recognized.

What is the problem?

• BN says:

Go over the guide again to make sure you didn’t miss a step or two, most likely step 29-30 ;-)

13. Video Script says:

I just tried this guide and it worked. I can honestly say I wouldn’t have ever figured out how to do this myself. Thanks for everything.

Also it when I can printevn.pl it also asked me to download the file in IE. Firefox displayed the text fine. But if you save the file and open it in a text editor you can see that the script ran and the output is displayed. So there your perl installation is working.

Thanks again. Ad clicked.

14. Dipesh Karki says:

I have used your tutorial to configure perl in my wamp. Now I am trying to add MASON in cgi. Can you give me some feedback.

I will highly appreciate it

• JL says:

Mason is 100% free and open source. Although it can be used from CGI or even stand-alone, it is optimally designed for use with two other open source technologies: mod_perl and Apache.

This is quoted from Mason site and as it stated and instructed on their site mostly for mod_perl which is not the same as FastCGI as guided here, so you should check w/ them how to run it ;) if we have time, we might take a look and post here the easy way to run it ;)

15. neha hemani says:

i followed all the instructions to install and configure perl on wamp but it didn`t work and got “Internal Server Error:The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@localhost and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.”

Please help me out favourably

16. Vijay Kadadi says:

Thank you very Much,This is the clean & neat installation step by step procedure.

17. Nilesh says:

Very good article for Perl installation.

18. Bodhi says:

Brilliant! Many thanks for this excellent guide. You have my gratitude, and a well-earned donation! (from Oh My Goddess – 7 Angels).
    In joy,
    Bodhi

19. Hello BN,

i really appreciate for the installation help of perl…it worked like charm for me and i am able to work on Perl with PHP…..Thanks a lot man hope you will keep helping guy like this in future and hope all the very best for your future

Thanks & Regards
    Abhinav Verma

20. Veretax says:

Like some previous users, I believe I followed the steps to the letter, and when I try to open it it gives me an open/download dialog

I am not sure if Missed a step, but there is one thing that may be a bit quirky about my install of WAMP, I run it off of a non default port setting (not 80). Could that be the reason why?

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• Get Chitika Premium