• RSS
  • Facebook
  • Twitter

JLBN

Free Guides, Themes, Photo, Games, Movies

JLBN – Backups & Restores on WAMP

Posted by BN May - 30 - 2008 42 Comments

In this setup guide for WAMP, we will show you the simplest method to backup your WAMP server.

Before attempting any change, even the first time password setup, you should perform a full backup based on this setup backup guide for WAMP.

Note: Even this guide is used for Wampserver, you can apply this method on other wamp package such as Xampp, EasyPHP, so on. Just make sure to select correct file(s) in proper location(s) ;)

[Read more...]

42 Responses so far.

1. Alex says:

A newbie so your guides are a tremendous help, very grateful and many thanks.
    One suggestion for people starting out like me:
    On your Setup Backup guide, it says change the default storage engine to MyISAM without explaining how. It would be helpful to state how.
    From the forums, it explains how to amend the my.ini file to default-storage-engine=MyISAM

2. JL says:

Thanks, we’ve just correct it ;-)

3. Boyd Brown says:

my.ini does not contain the line: default-storage-engine=INNODB

I am running MySQL 5.1.30.

my.ini does have the following:

myisam_sort_buffer_size = 8M

[myisamchk]
    key_buffer = 20M
    sort_buffer_size = 20M
    read_buffer = 2M
    write_buffer = 2M

So, I surmise all is well. Right?

4. Ken says:

I am running mysql 5.1.30 my line says

default-storage-engine=<>

I am a noob at everything! can I just delete so it looks like this?

default-storage-engine=<>

5. Ken says:

the rest of my line is not correct…it won’t show…

so here it is with some marks deleted

default-storage-engine={MIXED|INNODB:INNODB}{:MYISAM}

6. Ken says:

That is how I ended up here. I just want to double check that I should delete the MIXED INNODB:INNODB part and just leave the MYISAM

confirmation is all I am looking for since mine already had MYISAM in it at the end…thanks

• BN says:

default is mixed type and that’s the problem for some people since it’s not friendly copy and paste database folder(s) for backup and restore, and that’s why we suggest to use only MyISAM type. Just uncomment that line and add suggested line ;-)

7. Hornet_Bzz says:

First time I see an engineer providing such crystal clear explanations.

I’ll follow the other ones, once my site is full operative, i’ll donate sthg for your contribution, promised.

Congratulations.

8. JW says:

the file my.ini does not exist in the latest release of wamp as directed by this guide…
    Have you heard this problem before?

• JL says:

JW, make sure you already disable “Hide known extension…” in folder property or else, you only see the file “my” instead “my.ini”

9. Gadensgaard says:

My system crashed, and i have to restore from files only. But before the crash i didnt change the default to myIsam

Any suggestions how i can recover?

Thanks in advance.

10. rc says:

Hi there,

Under Backup what does the following mean?

Note: Make sure to switch the database type BEFORE create the database or you will lose the database after switching.

After you’ve finsished installing and checking to make sure WAMP’s all services running, you should immediately backup your WAMP server as follows:

• JL says:

Exactly as it meant, we recommend you to switch the database type right after installing wamp and before creating any new database because if you’ve already created any new database which is most likely InnoDB type and you will lose access to them after switching to MyISAM

11. kathy lewis says:

Before I found your website I installed wamp and attempted to create a user root password but through the mysql console.

I messed it up so I used system restore and deleted the c:/WAMP folder and looked for registry files but couldn’t find any.

Since I am only using localhost for learning PHP I don’t really care about a password and it seems to be a big headache. I decided when I reconfigured it I wouldn’t use one BUT

When I log into the Mysql console it says
    Enter Password: (which I don’t have) and I can go no further.

I have restored several times but nothing seems to give me a fresh start with NO PASSWORD.

Please help me I don’t know what else to do

thanks,
    Kathy

• BN says:

kathy, to login by default is user “root” and no password, so just press Enter if using MySQL console through wamp tray icon; however, we suggest you to follow our very easy step-by-step password guide since you never know someone someday might accidentally mess up your well-established database(s) and it’s NOT simple at all to fix that
      to setup password, follow this

12. wamp user says:

I’ve been asked to upgrade a WAMP5 v1.6.6 installation to WampServer2.

The MySQL database default storage engine as shown in the WAMP5 my.ini is INNODB.

I guess this means its now too late for me to change it to MyISAM?

• BN says:

wamp user, use phpmyadmin to export that DB, then uninstall wamp, rename wamp folder, restart pc, install new wamp then use phpmyadmin to import that DB. For more safety, after exporting that DB, install new wamp on different pc and try to import that DB to make sure it works as expected before actually performing upgrade on current wamp pc

13. Sorin says:

JL, you are doing such a wonderful job here. If it is worth something, you have all my respect and gratitude for all the effort you’re putting in to helping us.

Sorin
    Nicosia, Cyprus

14. This guide just saved me a boatload of time!

Switching mysql versions created error logging into myadmin.

Reloaded backup and it works again!

Thanks,

-JEDs

15. Alan says:

Hi JLBN

Thank you for the guide on backing up.

I have downloaded WampServer2.01i. It installed ‘out of the box’ as they say. However, when I went to follow your guide on backing up and looked for the line default-storage-engine’ in the mysql5.1.36\my.ini it was not there. Neither was there any permutations of it.

I then looked further. When I look in localhost/phpmyadmin and select the engines tab it assured me that MyISAM is already the default. (MyISAM – Default engine as of MySQL 3.23 with great performance).

I have read many of your guides and out of all the info available on the web they always seem to me to be the most clear cut and sensible. Can I please ask, very very respectfully, that you add a ‘published/updated on’ date and a reference to which versions of the particular software you are actually referring to?

Cheers

Alan

• BN says:

Hi Alan,

Since beginning of Wamp Server version 2, it might have a little minor change in some particular files in each version; however, our guides will work for most, if not all, versions of Wamp Server, which might include older versions 1.x

Anyway, in this particular guide, we’ve already clearly stated as follows:

Make the change or add this line if not found in your my.ini file:
      default-storage-engine=MyISAM

16. Peteruk says:

Hi
    I have just installed Wamp 2.0i (Apache 2.2.11, php 5.3.0, MySQL 5.1.36.
    I have no line in my.ini refering to default-storage-engine. I have two sections [wampmysqld] and [mysqld]. Which section should I add default-storage-engine=MyISAM to ?

Many thanks

17. HHHHHHHHhhhhhhh says:

So ok.. you say to get some sync program and backup files/folders..
    is it enough to just copy and paste the wamp folder into another random folder i call backup? (and also to remember which random folder that is afterwards).

18. Reba Hodell says:

Hi my names Reba Hodell. I found the fastest method to explain how to make a huge amount very easily and quickly. Do your own reasearch. Here it is http://www.yoursite.com Tell me if I can help! Reba Hodell Hoque436@yahoo.com

19. Bill Harris says:

Thanks for your work in creating this guide.

I read all the posts and pasted the the line in the proper place. However, when I first open wamp (after making the MyISAM change) and look at the MySQL.log, it reads as below, with no mention of MyISAM.

It does mention InnoDB, though, which Im not sure it should. Perhaps a post of what a “correct” log should read would help?

In any case, I appreciate any guidance, and thank you again.

——-
    MySQL.log
    ——-

101201 6:49:37 [Note] Plugin ‘FEDERATED’ is disabled.
    InnoDB: The first specified data file .\ibdata1 did not exist:
    InnoDB: a new database to be created!
    101201 6:49:37 InnoDB: Setting file .\ibdata1 size to 10 MB
    InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait…
    101201 6:49:37 InnoDB: Log file .\ib_logfile0 did not exist: new to be created
    InnoDB: Setting log file .\ib_logfile0 size to 5 MB
    InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait…
    101201 6:49:38 InnoDB: Log file .\ib_logfile1 did not exist: new to be created
    InnoDB: Setting log file .\ib_logfile1 size to 5 MB
    InnoDB: Database physically writes the file full: wait…
    InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer not found: creating new
    InnoDB: Doublewrite buffer created
    InnoDB: Creating foreign key constraint system tables
    InnoDB: Foreign key constraint system tables created
    101201 6:49:38 InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 0
    101201 6:49:38 [Note] Event Scheduler: Loaded 0 events
    101201 6:49:38 [Note] wampmysqld: ready for connections.
    Version: ’5.1.36-community-log’ socket: ” port: 3306 MySQL Community Server (GPL)

• BN says:

Bill Harris, don’t worry about it since it should auto create MyISAM DB’s from now on as long as you’ve already followed this guide recisely ;)

• Bill Harris says:

@BN

Thank you for your prompt reply! Yes, I followed guide precisely and have never created any DB yet, so this is good to know.

Peace :)

20. mojo706 says:

Saluton Mondo!
    My version of Wampserver only loads files from ‘www’ (root) it refuses to load from any other location in wamp what do I do? Ive tried editing the Apache httpd file but to no avail.
    Someone HELP! I have a site to complete :( !

• BN says:

mojo706, follow these guides:

No matter within or outside LAN access, you need to setup Access, DNS, and VH; Access for permission to connect to your Wamp PC, DNS to tie Domain(s) to your Wamp PC, and VH to host multiple Domains/Websites/IP’s and even you have only 1 Domain/IP, you should use VH to set it up w/ the site you want to show up first on top and localhost on bottom and others in middle if having more than 1 site; w/ VH, other PC’s, no matter w/i or outside LAN, can access/see websites/contents on your wamp PC. If dont have real Domain, just skip DNS guide

To setup Access, follow this

To setup VH, follow this

To setup DNS, follow this

You must be logged in to post a comment.

• Get Chitika Premium